Wes Hál!

Greetings! I am Lord Hubert de Stockleye (aka Wulfhere of Eofeshamme), a Herald at Large in the Kingdom of Calontir which is part of the medieval research and re-creation group the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). My legal name is Berry Canote. Let me tell you about this blog. When I returned to the SCA a couple of years ago I did something I had not done my previous times as a member. I designed and submitted a device (called a coat of arms by those not in the SCA). In the process of coming up with different designs, seeing what could be done, and what could not be done I developed an interest in heraldry. This blog highlights many of my designs as well as gives tips on name research. For more information please read the About this Blog Page. There if you are a SCA member you can learn how to register one of these designs as your own device as well as get acquainted with what I do. Finally, feel free to browse the links list. A note of caution, I am still very new to this so you are encouraged to consult another herald. In the time since I have started this blog I have begun writing on other topics of interest to me so expect to see other topics on the Middle Ages. Note: This is not an official Society for Creative Anachronism site. The views expressed here are my own.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

SCA Heraldry for Non-Heralds

Being a shire herald I wanted to do something to help educate the members of my shire on the basics of heraldry. In Calontir we are encouraged to teach classes not only for other heralds and those interested in heraldry, but the populace as well. This not only helps the populace understand heraldry, but also helps heralds by giving them clients that understand the process of registering a name, device, or badge. I have been blessed with a shire enthusiastic about registering names, devices, and badges, so I wanted to do something back for them. In Amlesmore we all try to help each other by offering our skills to other members, and my particular skill is heraldry. I decided to share online my basic class on devices and badges I plan to teach it this spring in the hope it helps other local heralds design classes for their shires and baronies. Feel free to share the pdf with others, and I encourage other heralds to share their educational material online as well. Lets share the love of heraldry with all who will listen. You can read and/or download the pdf of my class at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7QAAWCzpY65WG9aRTRHUXo2SGM/view?usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment